With car-makers constantly innovating, there is always something new and exciting for us to see at the Beijing Motor Show!
Held on April 25th through May 4th, the Beijing Motor Show ended last week after 10 days of car heaven. Also known as Auto China, the show occurs at the China International Exhibition Center -- the “new venue” and the “old venue”. Existing in the world’s largest new vehicle market, the Beijing Motor show happens every other year switching off with Auto Shanghai. It’s been held successfully for 20 years, making it the most influential automotive exhibition worldwide.
China is the most important market for automakers and for very good reason at that. According to the Hurun Global Rich List 2018, China added four dollar billionaires each week last year and led the world with a total of 819, whose combined net worth amounted to $2.5 trillion or 3.2 percent of the global GDP. On top of that, they have a population of 1.5 billion -- which all gives reason for China's booming car market.
With all this in mind, it’s easy to see why it’s the most influential platform for branding, releasing new products, displaying cutting edge technology and more. At this year's Beijing Motor Show, many brands focused on electric vehicles and innovative tech. Along with that, intelligent vehicles, auto digitization, autonomous driving, and more were added to the list. Not to mention, numerous futuristic concepts flooded the floor as well.
As far as their taste, Chinese customers are known for loving the back seat. They also like their vehicles long -- so having small sedans, large sedans, and SUV’s stretched are their forte. Due to this, there were many passenger-oriented interiors and stretched vehicles at the Beijing Motor Show. Brands such as GM, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Infiniti, Volvo and more showcased new vehicles -- some even coming out with a few global debuts too.
All in all, the Beijing Motor Show displayed a total of 1,022 vehicles, 64 of those being concept cars and 174 of them new energy vehicles. Hence, there was no shortage of new, luxurious rides for everyone to see, get in, and test drive (some!). However, we put together a list of our 3 favorite cars that made an appearance and completely stole the show. Take a look below to check out some of the best automobiles shown at the 2018 Beijing Motor Show.
1. Vision Mercedes-Maybach Ultimate Luxury Concept
- Global debut at the Beijing Motor Show
- 750 Horsepower
- 24-inch turbine wheels
- Four electric motors which drive all four wheels
- 80 kilowatt hour batter pack housed under the floor
- Range of over 200 miles
- Top speed of 155 mph
- Powered solely by electricity
- Charge at CCS type DC fast-charging stations at up to 350 kilowatts
- Widescreen cockpit interface with two 12.3 inch display screens
- Reclining white nappa leather-clad rear seats
- Rose gold coated seat backs and trim with blue interior accents
- Built-in tea service on ebony tray that retracts into center console when not in use.
"The ultimate embodiment of a luxury dream automobile." - Mercedes
This large luxury crossover is all about comfort and style (as if you couldn’t tell from the photos above!). It has an amazing interior with a built-in tea station and plenty of legroom for passengers in the back. Being the global debut, it’s said to be the potential rival of the Bentley Bentayga and upcoming Rolls-Royce Cullinan. Who wouldn’t want to jump in this ride?
2. BMW iX3 Concept
- Global debut at Beijing Motor Show
- First all-electric model from BMW
- 200 kilowatts
- 270 horsepower
- Electric motor
- Propelled by batter power
- Electric motor, transmission, ad power electronics grouped into single component
- Range of more than 240 miles in WLTP cycle
- Fifth generation of BMW eDrive technology
- Aerodynamic benefits from closed area
- Light alloy wheels in aerodynamically optimized design
- Interior based on current X3
- Set to launch in 2020
"This new layout brings considerable advances in terms of performance characteristics, operating range, weight, packaging space, and flexibility." - BMW
Coming up with the first all-electric X3 SUV was no small feat for BMW. But they definitely made it look good at the Beijing Motor show! Dubbed a fully-fledged Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV), this automobile does not compromise on comfort or functionality. BMW constantly provides innovation and this BMW iX3 proves it. I wouldn’t mind taking it out for a drive... or two!
3. Volvo S90 Ambience Concept
- Global debut at Beijing Motor Show
- Full-on luxury limo inside
- Customization atmosphere with seven visual themes synchronized with audio and scent
- Heated/cooled cup holder
- Massage functions
- Large screen that stands in place of the back of front seat for passenger use
- Rear central control panel for passenger use
- Small fridge in rear console complete with hand-cut crystal Orrefors glasses
- Console offers 3 basic functions: workstation, entertainment center, relaxation device
- Heated foot rest
- Bowers and Wilkins premium sound system
- Three seating arrangements
"The Ambiance Concept redefines luxury by taking it beyond material choices, creating a car that connects with your senses. The design explores how people feel inside the car and enables them to influence their own mood and well-being." - Robin Page, Volvo's Head of Design
Volvo has outdone itself at the Beijing Motor Show with the S90 Ambience Concept. With a personalized atmosphere including visual themes, audio, scents, and more, this is the ultimate travel car by far. Riding in this vehicle for any amount of time would be heavenly. Who knows, it might even become your home away from home when you need to get away from it all!
These 3 vehicles stood out among the rest at the Beijing Motor Show. Each provides an exquisite level of technology, functionality, and most of all, comfort and luxury.
Year after year we see brands embody the innovative ideas of modern auto manufacturing combined with advanced scientific and tech achievements around the world. They provide us with futuristic concepts and push boundaries to make the driving experience a personal one. And when commuting, what could be better than that?
Would you ever want to own one of these cars? Did you see any other new vehicles at the Beijing Motor Show? Tell us in the comments below and share with family and friends so they can see these luxurious rides too.
Related Article: Amazon Combats Porch Thieves With Amazon Key In-Car Delivery