Fall is upon us, and what better way to embrace the cold nights than with a festive cocktail?
Update your alcohol shelf with seasonal spices and flavours, such as cinnamon and nutmeg. Invite your favourite people to your house and have a party for no reason whatsoever. Here are some delicious fall cocktails which are easy to follow. Also, each only requires a few ingredients so they won’t break the bank.
Fall Cocktails for Cozy Nights Inside
For these fall cocktails, we’ve taken some original recipes and added a twist to them. Also, feel free to add more or less alcohol to each one to suit the occasion. Don’t forget that half the taste is in the presentation, so play around with different garnishes.
1. Apple Cranberry Moscow Mule
This is one of our favourite fall cocktails because it’s refreshing and warm at the same time. If you’re looking for an alcoholic beverage with an added bonus of fruit and sweetness, then you’ll fall in love with this delicious creation.
- 4 ounces vodka
- ¼ cup cranberry juice
- ½ cup sparkling apple juice
- 2 ginger beers
- fresh cranberries for garnish
- Fill two large glasses with ice. Add the Vodka and cranberry juice. Add the sparkling apple juice and then fill the rest of the way with the ginger beer. Stir gently to combine and serve immediately.
2. Pumpkin Pie Martini
Whether you’re having a bad day, or just crave a delicious fall cocktail, this is definitely your go-to. It’s guaranteed to end your day perfectly and make a good day even better.
- 2 ounces Pumpkin Spice Vodka
- 1 ounces Dark Rum
- ½ ounces Half and Half
- 2 TBS Pumpkin Puree (canned or homemade)
- 1 ounces Maple Syrup
- ¼ tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 Ice Cubes
- Maple Syrup
- 1 Graham Cracker
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 TBS Granulated Sugar
- Cinnamon Stick
- For the Garnish: Crush graham cracker in a Ziploc bag, or food processor, or food processor until it resembles sand. Stir in the cinnamon and sugar. Line the rim of a martini glass with maple syrup (I used a thick napkin to apply syrup). Dip/roll in the cracker mix. Set aside.
- For the Martini: In a cocktail shaker, combine the ice and remaining cocktail ingredients. Shake vigorously until shaker chilled to the touch.
- Strain and pour cocktail into the prepared martini glass. Garnish with cinnamon stick and nutmeg. Enjoy!
3. Simple Hot Spiced Wine
This is one of our favourite fall cocktails for a special occasion. It’s easy to make and perfect for those really chilly nights. Invite some friends around and have a catch-up with positive people. If you love cinnamon, then this will become your all-time favourite drink.
- 1 bottle of Mirassou Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/4 cup honey (add additional honey for a sweeter drink)
- 1 freshly juiced (large) orange, and a dash of orange zest
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon of Allspice
- 1 teaspoon of whole cloves (add a dash more for a spicier cider)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 whole star anise
- 1/4 cup brandy (optional for added flavor)
- Orange slices, for garnish
- Cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- Whole start anise, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Heat on low for around 30 minutes until warm.
- Once warm, serve immediately with a few extra garnishes like whole star anise, cinnamon sticks, and an orange peel for added detail.
4. Apple Pie Vodka
Yes, you heard right. The title alone is enough to make you lick your lips. For this recipe, we recommend using granny smith apples as they’re sweet. However, you can switch up with fruit to use if you’d prefer less sweetness. Not only does this make an amazing result, but you can store it in the fridge for a few weeks. Alternatively, why not make it for a special someone as a gift? Add some ribbon to a mason jar for a beautiful decoration.
- 4-5 Granny Smith apples sliced
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- Around 2 cups Everclear 190 Proof
- 1 3/4 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup simple syrup equal parts water and sugar, cooked on the stove until combined fully
- Fill a mason jar with the sliced apples and cinnamon sticks. Use more or less apple as needed to fill the jar all the way to the top.
- Pour in the Everclear. Use more or less Everclear to fill to the brim.
- Seal the jar and shake lightly to make sure that all of the apples are fully submerged and touched by the Everclear.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 48 hours.
- When ready to continue, pour the Everclear through a fine mesh strainer to remove the fruit and cinnamon. Return the flavored vodka to the mason jar.
- Pour in the simple syrup and filtered water. Stir to fully combine.
- Seal tightly and store in the fridge until ready for use; it will keep for a few weeks.
5. Bourbon and Spiced Pear Cocktail
This is one of those fall cocktails which requires more patience and skill than the above recipes. For the best results, enable to mixture to age for a month. Keep your eye on the process and taste it along the way. This is to ensure that all the flavours have integrated. Also, the best way to get the most out of this fall cocktail is to flavour to your preference. Don’t be afraid to add more/less bourbon.
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon
- 1 1/2 ounces pear purée
- 1/4 ounce ginger liqueur
- 1/4 ounce agave nectar
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice dram
- Soda water to taste
- 2-3 dashes Hella Bitters Aromatic Bitters
- Freshly cut thyme or sage sprigs, for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, add the bourbon, pear purée, ginger liqueur, agave nectar, lemon juice, and allspice dram.
- Fill with ice. Shake well, and strain into a cocktail glass, filled with fresh ice.
- Add soda to taste and give 2-3 shakes of Hella Bitters Aromatic Bitters.
- Gently smack the fresh herbs to release their aromatics and place them in the finished cocktail.
- To make the pear purée, peel, core, and coarsely chop 3 pears. Purée the chopped pears and 2 ounces of lemon juice in a blender until smooth. Strain and press the pear mixture through a fine-mesh strainer or chinois, discarding the remaining solids. This mixture yields enough to make 4-5 cocktails.
6. Pumpkin White Russian
For the best fall cocktails, opt for organic ingredients – especially with this particular recipe. Carve your pumpkin and place the seeds aside. Then, add the pumpkin carvings to lemon juice. Mix in a food processor to make homemade puree. As a result, you’re left with the perfect seasonal cocktail. To make the cocktail-making process quicker and more enjoyable, mix up the ingredients ahead of the day. When ready to serve this Pumpkin White Russian cocktail, add more vodka for additional flavour.
We encourage you to flavour this recipe to your liking. Spices such as ginger, star anise, peppercorns and nutmeg are perfect fall flavours for a sweet and savoury creation.
- 2 ounces Vodka
- 1 ounce coffee liqueur
- 1 ounce heavy cream
- 1 tbsp canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Add all ingredients to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake and strain over ice. Garnish with pumpkin pie spice.
7. Spiced Cider Margaritas
We love this fall cocktail because you can play around with the presentation. Stick to a simple creation, or garnish it to the extreme to really impress guests. Whatever the occasion, this will make you smile and leave you wanting more. We recommend using mescal, but you can opt for gold tequila – depending on your taste buds.
- 5 ounces spiced apple cider
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 0.5 ounces Grand Marnier (or Cointreau)
- 1.5 ounces mescal or gold tequila
- 2 tbsps raw sugar, for garnish
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon, for garnish
- Cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- Apple slices, for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine the raw sugar and cinnamon. Pour a splash of Grand Marnier into a separate bowl. Dip the rim of the glass in the Grand Marnier to moisten it, and then immediately dip the glass in cinnamon sugar.
- Pour all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake until well combined.
- Pour over ice into your rimmed glass. Garnish with a cinnamon stick, a slice of apple, and a dash of ground cinnamon
What Are Your Favourite Fall Cocktails?
The above fall cocktails are diverse enough to find a suitable creation for your tastes. If you prefer sweet, savoury or strong, we’ve got your covered. Beautifully pair original cocktails with spices and flavours you love. Whether you’re looking for a comforting, warm drink or sweet sour, these fall cocktails are everything you need.
What are your favourite fall cocktails? Share your recipes and tips in the comments to keep this conversation going.
Related Article: Best Sake for Adding Some Warmth to Your Cocktail Cabinet